November in the Apiary
This month there will be very little activity at the hive entrance. Only on the warmer days will you see a few bees coming and going to empty their bowels and collect a few bits of pollen if there is any to be had.
Infrared photo of a beehive during the winter where the clusters are clearly visible.
Jobs for the month
- Monitor natural varroa mite drop and plan further treatment.
- Check hives are secure against bad weather and rodents.
- Repair any equipment not in use.
- Wash bee suite and clean gloves.
- Clean out any tar build-up in your smoker.
- Clean hive tool thoroughly in a solution of washing soda and water. A handful of washing soda to a liter of warm water and allow to soak overnight.